Direct Current Motor Advantages and Disadvantages are some methods which we have to consider . In our previous articles, we have discussed on DC Machines. Today we are a plan to discuss more on advantages and disadvantages of DC motors. These advantages and disadvantages of the motor classified according to the basic type of DC motors. Which these motors are widely used in our electrical engineering patricians. Apart from the advantages and disadvantages of DC Motors of Series, Shunt and Compound configuration, Applications of such Motors are also included in here.
Series Direct Current Motor Advantages and Disadvantages
Advantages of DC Series Motors:
- Starting torque of DC Series motor is comparatively higher than other motors so this kind of motors are widely used for traction applications
- Series wound motors can use for AC or DC supply so it’s also known as universal motors.
- Compare with Shunt Motor DC series motor develop more power for the same construction size.
Disadvantages of DC Series Motors:
- Speed control and regulation of DC series motor are not good.
- It is necessary to have a load before starting the DC series motors. So Dc Series motors are not good to use where load does not apply to the initial stage.
Applications of Direct Current Motor Advantages and Disadvantages
- Direct Current series motors are useful traction applications in electrical such as locomotives and trolley cars.
- DC Series Motors are also used for cranes and conveyor belt where higher starting torque is required.
DC Shunt Motors
Advantages of DC Shunt Motors
- direct current machines can use for heavy industrial applications where torque and speed wider range.
- Shunt wound motor able to runs at a predetermined speed.
- The power supply of DC motor is any way cheap.
Disadvantages of DC Shunt Motors
- Installation of DC machines is expensive compare with other types of machines.
- Since Shunt motors are constant speed motor, it would be a disadvantage where it’s necessary to operate under variable speed.
- DC motors are unreliable at low speeds operations.
- The Size of DC motors is large compared with Alternative Current Motors.
Applications of DC Shunt Motors
- This motors got great speed controlling characteristics so this type of motors are used in rolling mills.
- Use of lathe machines where constant speed is highly required.
- These motors are also widely used for fans, blowers, reciprocating and centrifugal pumps.
Advantages of Compound Motors
- Quick start and stop of the motor can do.
- Reversing and acceleration of the motor can do fast
Disadvantages of Compound Motors
- Operation and maintenance cost of DC motors are expensive.
- DC motors unable to operate in hazard situation where spark occurs at the brush of the motor.
- In generally Every DC motor using brushes so the lifetime of such motors is less compared with AC motors.
Applications of Compound Motors
- Compound motors are widely used in applications such as elevators, conveyor belts, air compressors, and punches.
- Can use for variable speed domestic appliances
Hope that now you have got some good understanding of the advantages, disadvantages, and applications of above motors. We have discussed more valuable in formations regarding the Direct Current Motors. We are also planning to discuss more details of these type of motors in near future.